The Ateneo Center for Asian Studies (ACAS) seeks to contribute to the development of Asian Studies as a discipline in the country’s universities. It seeks to enhance the expertise of the Ateneo faculty in Asian Studies and strengthen the regional presence of the Ateneo de Manila University in this field.
At its home base in Ateneo, it aims to carry out its mandate through a biennial international conference, publications, sponsorships of research projects, hosting of researchers, language training courses and activities that foster interest in Asian Studies such as the organization of the Asian Studies Association of the Philippines (ASIA-PHIL).
- To promote research in Asian Studies
- To enrich the teaching of Asia-related courses
- To provide support in the formulation of policies and strategies to the Philippine government, the private sector, and the civil society
Projects and Activities
- Engagement in research program and projects
- Collection of research output, books and other materials on Asian Studies
- Exchange of researcher. The Center hosts local and international scholars or researchers.
- Dissemination and promotion of research through publications, seminars, conferences, and workshops
- Linkages with institutions here and abroad
Areas of Research
Presently, the primary areas of research are East and Southeast Asia. Prospective areas are South Asia and the Pacific Islands.
- ASEAN and APEC
- Asian Philosophy
- Comparative Cultures
- Asian History and Politics
- Economies of Asia
- Asian Literature
- China-Japan Relations
- Philippines-Japan Relations
- Southeast Asian Cultures
- Southeast Asia: Democratic Transition
- Southeast Asia: Urban Governance
- Southeast Asian Journalism